Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Baby on Board

What has prompted pregnant moms all over the land to start baring their bellies and writing "Baby" on themselves with an arrow pointing toward their belly buttons?  Used to be we would see obviously pregnant ladies with obvious statements on their maternity shirts stating the same.  Or sometimes, it would be something equally obvious, yet a little more clever.  Along the lines of, "under construction" or "no peeking".
While those shirts used to make me roll my eyes like hormone fueled teen, I've come to shake my head even more at the bare bellied women, men & sometimes children announcing the obvious.

First it was just the ladies.  Showing off perfect bellies, stretched bellies, even not so pretty bellies, all to announce they had a little bundle on the way.  When you wait until you are 8 or 9 months, don't you think we all know what's going on down there?  Do you think we believe you are full of pizza or burgers?

Next came the dads.  I want to know who's bright idea it was to include the men on the action.  Now we have the ladies with their very pregnant bare bellies accompanied by their baby's daddy's bare belly.  And apparently, all baby daddies are full of beer.  Oh yea. 

Finally, today, I came across the straw that broke my camel's back.  The photo of a faceless, very pregnant mommy's bare belly labeled "baby" on the left with faceless very hairy daddy's bare belly labeled "beer" on the right and sandwiched in between, big sister's bare belly labeled "apple juice".
Do you really think this is cute?
source: fb friend mobile upload
That, to me, is just taking it all a little too public.  I'm not asking that we cover up a la Puritan style, but, please... I'm begging.  Can't we just have a little more modesty anymore?  Leave a little to the imagination?
tasteful
source: google.images
sexy
source: mypinkcloud.tumblr.com
Don't misunderstand me.  I love the artistic black and white photos of bare bellies.  Silhouettes, henna bellies.  There's just something that screams tacky when you take, in my mind, a sharpie marker to your body to announce the obvious.


Do you like those types of announcements?  The handwritten sharpie one? 

Am I the only one that doesn't?  I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment